Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tribute To Mary Kate








I know there are so many of you who love Mary Kate and her family, but were unable to attend the beautiful memorial service to honor her and celebrate her precious life. I am taking this opportunity to share with you a few photo's and poems that were a part of this celebration.

Also, to Team Believe, Alyson loved her "Special Sister" necklace. Regina and Alyson ask me to please share with your their sincere appreciation of such a special gift. She wants you to know how much she appreciates all of your love and prayers. Let's take every opportunity we have to keep them in our prayers and to keep leaving them notes of encouragement. This is the most difficult thing Regina and Alyson have had to face. They miss Mary Kate more than anyone can express, and I know there is a Mary Kate size hole in both of their hearts. We can never fill that hole, but we can let them know we are always here for them to offer up prayers for God to comfort them and carry them through each day.

The following are poems that were included on the programs from the service.

"When I Must Leave You"

When I must leave you for a little while,
Please do not grieve and shed wild tears
and hug your sorrows to you throughout the years.
But start out bravely and with a gallant smile;
and for my sake and in my name
live on and do all things the same.
Feed not your loneliness on empty days,
But fill each waking hour in useful ways.
Reach out your hand in comfort and in cheer
And I in turn will comfort you and hold you near;
And never, never be afraid to die,

For I am waiting for you in the sky!




Little Angels

When God calls little children
to dwell with Him above,
We mortals sometimes question
the wisdom of His love.
For no heartache compares with
the death of one small child
Who does so much to make our world
seem wonderful and mild
Perhaps God tires of calling the aged to His fold
So He picks a rosebud before it can grow old.
God knows how much we need them,
and so He takes but few
To make the land of Heaven
more beautiful to view.
Believing this is difficult,
still somehow we must try.
The saddest word mankind knows
will always be "Goodbye".
So when a little child departs,
we who are left behind
Must realize God loves children,
Angels are hard to find.


The Rushing family is loved by so many. The service yesterday showed just how special this family is. There was standing room only and I honestly think that St Jude must have been running on it's own or maybe the children there were doing their own scans and labs,... etc. there was an impressive turn out from doctors, nurses and staff from St Jude in attendance. There will now be a great emptiness for many around the hospital. Not only hospital staff, but also the other families with children fighting their own battles. These families truly become ONE family, they love each other and support each other like nothing I have ever seen before. I am blessed to be able to be apart of some of their lives.

I again will ask for each of you to consider making a donation to St Jude. Regina did ask that in lieu of flowers for donations to be made to St Jude in Mary Kate's memory. If you are fortunate enough to have healthy children, please keep these families in mind and in your heart. Consider becoming a Partner In Hope for St Jude, I can not think of a better place to support. While on the topic of support, I also want to ask you to consider a few other things, Target stores support the Target House which houses families at no charge while they are being treated at St Jude. If you need to run out and shop, you know the necessary items to keep a house going... please consider supporting the Target stores as they support St Jude.

Also, Chili's Restaurants deserve our support. As most of you know, Chili's took on the task of building the Chili's center that houses the Transplant Unit and the Imagining Departments. That includes the Xray's, MRI's and all scans. This is a fabulous building that is attached to the main hospital. Chili's has one day each year that they give 100% of their profit from all locations across the states to go toward paying for this building. Personally, my family eats there for lunch and dinner on that special day, but we also eat there often to support them at other times to. Plus, for those of you who know me personally, you know my kitchen stays broke, yes selective breakage, none the less we take every opportunity to support a business that supports St Jude. I ask you to keep these places in mind when shopping or dining out. Also, if you live in the Memphis area, or travel to Memphis, go by and support the Grizzles NBA team at one of their games. They have built and support the Grizzlie House which is on the St Jude campus and also houses families while they are at the hospital for short term stays at no cost what so ever to the families. That is my public broadcast advertising for the day!

I talked with Regina this morning and I told her, I am committed to doing my part, whatever it may be, to help find a cure to stop these babies from losing battles with this beast we call CANCER! I challenge each of you reading this to join me.

I pray that Mary Kate's life and her battle with her leukemia will not be in vain. I pray that the doctors will be able to use what they learned from her to help treat another child and defeat their cancer. The ultimate gift from Mary Kate, who was such a sweet and giving little lady. Your fight is over Mary Kate, walk, run and play on the streets of gold, as you are cancer free now. Love and take care of the other little ones from St Jude who went before you. Watch over your momma and your sister. You are loved and missed by so many, SWEET MARY KATE.


Believe-Prayer Works

Team Believe

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute, Mardecia, for a beautiful little girl. Keeping them close in my prayers.

    Amy in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words cannot express the love that so many of us have for you and the wonderful work you do for St. Jude's kids. I know that you do it out of love and not for any credit but I am convinced that you are scoring extra points in the place we all want to go. Love you dear angel Mardecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for what you are doing for my friends Noah and Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you April,

    Thank you for following the blog and supporting these families too. I have not had the opportunity to meet Beth and Noah, but she has become friends with Amy, Reagan's mom, who is a special friend of mine. I hope to meet them soon but we will follow Noah and pray for him and for the research that Amy and Beth are doing. They are such an inspiration and I pray that they will find some answers that can help with the healing of these children.

    ReplyDelete